6 Ways to Leave a Positive Impression When Business Networking!
Oh I’ve been meaning to write this blog for sometime now having attended a business networking event where a lovely lady shoved me her business card, told me her name and then turned on her heels and she was off, I’ll leave it to you to guess what happened to said business card!
Now there could be many reasons why this happened – networking can be nerve wracking, even the most confident can find it difficult to do at times but to avoid your business card ending in the bin and to have a good networking experience here are my 5 ways to leaving a positive impression when business networking.
1. Ahead of any event be clear on your pitch – most events allow 60 seconds for you to introduce yourself and your business – be clear on what you do and why and who you help, what makes you different from the rest?
2. Be open when attending events, rather than thinking what am I going to get out of this meeting, attend with the attitude of being helpful and giving value.
3. Smile when talking and make eye contact. Simple, but a smile can open many doors for you.
4. Spend time getting to know the other attendees, ask questions about their business and who they work with, even ask questions outside of business. By doing so you will find that interest will be replicated. It’s a great way to start building relationships which can then lead to great opportunities. But remember this all takes time.
5. Whatever you do please do not try to give your business card to anyone without having spent some time getting to know them first. Random business card shoving can be seen as rude – how would you know someone is interested in your service without taking the time to get to know them?
6. After the networking event make contact with those that you met, email or an old-fashioned phone call where appropriate to start cementing those relationships that you have started to make.
The most important thing is to be just be YOU, have belief in yourself and what you do and if you are feeling nervous remember it is likely that others are too – so relax, try to enjoy and remember what you are trying to achieve.
Need help with your business visibility goals including networking then do get in touch to see how I can help you!