Hustle and Juggle With Nicola Imrie
How long have you been doing the Hustle and Juggle?
What is the Juggle to your Hustle?
Tell me more about your business?
London-based PR company operating in 27 countries
What is your Hustle and Juggle story?
I have done all of the following:
– Taken a call from a prospect while changing a nappy with no notebook to hand to take notes / record number – I then had no idea who’d just called me or how to contact them
– Thrown a smart jacket on over a tracksuit and yanked my hair down for an unexpected video conference call when I’d just got in from walking the dog
– Emptied a whole bowl of milky cereal tipped on me by my toddler down the loo and then jumped on train – no time to change
– Thrown a pack of nappies over the barrier at Waterloo to the person en route back to look after my 2 year old as I trotted off to an event
– Rush out for a posh event on a boat in wobbly shoes, only to have the heel break off and have to stand on one foot for the whole event…
– Also on the shoe note – went out in non matching black boots and only noticed when I looked in a mirror in town (I was 9 months pregnant at the time in my defence)
– Agreed to meet a journalist for coffee and got the wrong person – sat down with another man wearing a suit with the FT under his arm – much hilarity when we realised we were both in the wrong meeting (took about 5 minutes)!
– Had to choose between fixing the company server (located in my garage at the time) and completing my son’s school application form for Reception
– Taking business calls in all manner of places – theme parks, soft plays, the toilet…
What’s your message to anyone reading this to inspire them to keep going?
Juggling is tough. However my choice to work for myself with a team of like minded people around me has enabled me to be there for my kids 100%. I have never missed any important events in their lives; if they’ve been sick, I’ve been able to drop work and look after them – it may be stressful, but I don’t have to feel guilty. I need to work and this way of working allows me to put my family first but also help to create a successful company. Go for it!
If like Nicky you are Hustling and Juggling and would like to share your story with others please find out how you can do so here. I would love to hear from you.
Lastly if you are ever feeling like giving up please remember Nicky’s advice and remember WHY and surround yourself with like minded people.